As businesses adopt digital transformation, companies are offering software developer jobs to qualified candidates. Find out which software development career is perfect for you.
If you visit online job portals, you will notice the hundreds of available software developer jobs in the Philippines. Companies are hiring individuals who are proficient in coding, designing, testing, and debugging different types of software.
The number of vacancies alone indicates that software developers are very much in demand in the country. As a result, the profession is one of the top highest paying IT jobs in the Philippines.
One of the companies offering software developer jobs is Full Scale. We are one of the fastest-growing tech companies in the country. And, the company is looking for developers of all levels.
Before we jump to the top available software development jobs, let us first define the nature of software developers.
What is a Software Developer?
Software developers plan, design, and develop computer programs. While some developers focus on developing mobile or desktop applications, others build the app’s underlying operating systems.
The developers need to identify the users’ needs, build applications, test them, and make improvements. Their two primary responsibilities are:
- Use various tools, frameworks, and technologies to write, debug, improve, and maintain software applications.
- Test, document, and write code to create apps that can stand alone or enhance access to servers and services.
There are three main types of software developers—frontend, backend, and full-stack. However, as new technologies emerge, more developers that specialize in specific tech stacks are emerging. This leads to different software development job placements.
Software Developer Jobs in the Philippines
If you are interested in software development careers in the Philippines, here’s a list of the most in-demand positions.
1. Frontend Developer
Specializing in the client-facing side of software development, they are responsible for website and app design. As such, these developers make sure that the website or app’s interface works well. Additionally, they are in charge of:
- Planning, designing, and structuring of web pages
- Making sure that all interface elements are functional and interactive
- Creating cross-browser and device, responsive websites
- Optimizing websites
- Developing scalable design patterns to make the website flexible
In terms of technical skills, companies require frontend developers to have:
- Expertise in the user interface (UI) design and platforms
- Understanding of user experience (UX) design principles
- Mastery of graphic design tools (Illustrator, etc.)
- Knowledge about SEO principles
- Skills in developing responsive and scalable designs
Also, frontend developers should be familiar with frameworks, such as AngularJS, Ember JS, Backbone, Foundation, Bootstrap, and more.
Additionally, many job listings also require developers to be knowledgeable about Ajax. It is a web development technique that allows pages to load dynamically by downloading server data in the background.
2. Backend Developer
As the name suggests, backend development is all about the server-side of the software development process. Backend developers design, create and improve server-side applications and databases. Hence, they are responsible for:
- Building and maintaining web or mobile applications
- Writing high-efficiency, functional, and scalable code
- Gathering, defining, and communicating technical and design requirements
- Collaborating with frontend developers to enhance user experience
- Compiling and analyzing data and processes for troubleshooting and improvement
- Conducting UI and optimization tests
And to fulfill these duties, they need to have the following skills:
- Fluency in different programming languages, such as PHP, Python, Java, C, C++, and more
- In-depth understanding of web development cycle
- Strong knowledge of programming tools and techniques
- Proficient in debugging, testing, documenting
- Experience with different frameworks (Ruby, Laravel, Express, Django, etc.)
- Practical knowledge about database systems (SQL, MySQL, Oracle, etc.)
- Experience in web services (REST, SOAP, and more)
Backend developers need to have a deep understanding of programming languages and the software development process. Most often than not, they need to integrate a diverse array of services, such as caching, logging, and email systems.
3. Full-Stack Developer
Full-stack developers do both frontend and backend work. They are capable of developing a fully functional web application. As such, these developers should know a wide range of languages and tech stacks. Their responsibilities include:
- Collaborating with developers and project managers to come up with software solutions
- Designing both client-side and server-side architecture
- Managing and develop databases and applications
- Writing effective APIs and security and data protection settings
- Performing software tests for functionality and responsiveness
- Troubleshooting, debugging, and upgrading software
- Writing technical documentation
Technical skills required for full-stack developers are:
- Experience with developing both desktop and mobile apps
- Deep knowledge of backend programming languages (Python, Java, C++, C#, etc.)
- Familiarity with web servers, databases, UI, and UX designs
- Experienced in using different frameworks, platforms, and tech stacks
Aside from these skills, full-stack developers should be well-organized. They must be analytical and have great attention to detail.
4. Mobile Developer
These developers specialize in writing code for applications that run on mobile devices like smartphones and tablets. Mobile developers must be well-versed in the intricacies of operating systems like iOS and Android.
In addition, they are familiar with the frameworks and other tools used in creating software using the said operating systems. Their duties include:
- Developing fully-functional mobile apps
- Conceptualizing, designing, testing, releasing, and supporting mobile applications
- Gathering requirements and provide solutions
- Identifying problems by writing UI and unit tests
- Helping in the improvement of UX by designing interfaces
- Optimizing app performance by troubleshooting and debugging
- Maintaining and improving quality standards of new and legacy applications
The skills that companies require from mobile developers are:
- Experience in writing mobile applications
- Expertise in Android programming languages (Kotlin, Java, C++)
- Mastery of iOS programming languages (Swift, Objective-C)
- Understanding of both Android and iOS development frameworks
- Knowledge of APIs like Android, Apple iOS, Symbian, and Windows Mobile
- Experience with cross-platform suites (Antenna)
With these skills, they can design and develop the next generation mobile applications.
There are more available software developer jobs in the Philippines. You can find more job opportunities here.
Technical Interview and Exam
There are many reasons why companies prefer Filipino software developers. However, to become one, you will have to stand out during your technical exam and interviews.
The purpose of these interviews and exams is to test whether you have the skills and attitude required for the position. And to do well during these exams and interviews, you have to prepare well. Here are some of the exams and interview questions that you most likely encounter:
- Programming tests
- Scenario tests
- Database tests
- UI/UX design tests
- Debugging and Troubleshooting tests
Software Developer Technical Interview Questions
Here are the most common interview questions for software developer jobs in the Philippines.
1. Which programming language do you often use? What are their advantages and disadvantages?
This question aims to test your job knowledge. To answer this type of question, you need to show your mastery of your niche programming language/s.
2. At present, what type of software development are you doing?
Interviewers ask this question to determine what type of software development projects fit you the most. Always emphasize the programming languages and different tech stacks that you are using. Additionally, it will be advantageous to walk through the interviewer on your process.
3. What was the latest issue that you faced? How did you solve it?
To answer this question, you have to talk in detail about your problem-solving process. You can use the STAR (situation, task, action, result) method to explain your actions to remedy the problem. Your answer will tell the interviewers how you handle hurdles during development.
4. How do you handle conflicts in ideas when working with your team?
This is a question that aims to test your interpersonal skills. Can you communicate your ideas well? How do you handle feedback or differing opinions?
Make sure to highlight your soft skills, such as communication and leadership. In addition, your answer to this question will show the interviewers how you will fit in a team.
These questions will be your guide when preparing for your interview. However, you may face more complex questions and tests during your actual interview. But as long as you practice and have confidence in your skills, you will stand out from the rest of the candidates.
Be a Full Scale Software Developer
You just read about the most in-demand software developer jobs in the country. Plus, you learned about the skills and other requirements to become one. Now the question is, “Do you want a career in software development?” If your answer is, “Yes!” then become one of us.
Full Scale is hiring for software developers of all levels. We are a Cebu-based offshore software development company. Even though we are based in Cebu, we are hiring developers from all over the Philippines because we offer work-from-home arrangements.
As long as you have the skills and the drive, you can be a Full Scale software developer in the Philippines. We can help you improve your skills with our bespoke training. In addition, we will make sure that you will be working on a project that suits your interests and abilities.
Your software development career awaits you. Join us now!