Guide to Hiring Dedicated Developers for Web and Mobile from the Philippines
More and more organizations have come to realize that technology is making an impressive impact on people’s way of life. The internet, for one, has become a constant fixture of the current generation’s lifestyle where everything can be accessed and accomplished with just a simple click of a finger. Since the internet is the place to be for most people in the planet, businesses thought of ways to steer the marketing wheel to their advantage by creating software to modernize their systems for more efficient production and increased customer engagement. How do they do these? Simple. They hire dedicated developers that can help them make a thriving presence in the market.
Business websites and mobile apps are gaining a lot of competitive advantage for businesses. Why? For starters, websites and mobile apps help increase customer engagement. Through a thoroughly made website and user-friendly mobile app, customers can freely connect with your business anytime, anywhere. Once your audience engagement is optimized, product sales are also influenced. Not only do these platforms help increase customer engagement profit but it can also be a valuable source of data and competitive advantage.
However, all of these benefits can only be achieved if you’ve created a trendy website and a handy mobile app. If you are confident of your skills, you can opt to make your own website with WordPress. But if you aren’t adept in creating software using source codes, it is much better to hire a dedicated web and mobile app developer.
But first, you need to know a few things. What do these developers do? And what skills should they have?
What is a Web Developer?
A web developer is the person who designs, codes, and modifies a website. Web developers strive to create visually appealing yet user-friendly websites which contribute to the user’s overall experience. Before you hire a web developer, you must first find out what kind of developer you need.
The following are three subgroups of web developers which correspond to their area of specialization. These subgroups are front-end, back-end, and full-stack developers.
Front-end developers take care of the visual part of the website or otherwise known as the user interface (UI). They take care of the over-all look, brand, and mood of the website. The back-end developers are more focused on the functionality of the website. They usually do troubleshooting concerning website speed and other tech issues. The last subgroup, full-stack developers, are considered jack-of-all-trades in web development. Full-stack developers can do the job of both front-end and back-end development; however, it doesn’t automatically make them better than front-end and back-end developers. Full-stack developers have general knowledge of both front-end and back-end development, however, it is usually limited compared to what specialized developers know.
What is a Mobile Developer?
Mobile developers are the people responsible for creating, implementing, and maintaining source code for mobile apps and programs. They use programming languages and source codes to create software. They can create applications for various platforms such as iOS and Android.
A mobile developer should have common principles of creating a secure and stable software design. He/she should also have a comprehensive understanding of the software life cycle or development process to eliminate confusion and production delays. A mobile developer should also have enough exposure and understanding on the different development methodology as well as necessary technical requirements such as appropriate knowledge on two or more programming languages.
Hiring a dedicated developer team
Evaluating the skills of developers is a very challenging task. How do you evaluate them? Should you test them? Hire one with the highest educational attainment? Hire one with awe-inspiring work experience? How do you assess a developer?
- A degree does not automatically suggest an adept developer—Upon hiring, educational background is among the first things to consider. However, a degree is not a measurement of skill. In a research conducted by HackerRank from over 10,000 student developers, it stated that though computer science students get most of their programming knowledge at universities, over half of the students said that they are partially self-taught. Universities are mostly falling behind when it comes to the latest technology since they follow certain educational standards.
- Choose developers who can easily learn new technologies—Developers, may it be mobile or web, are always curious and thirsty for knowledge. It is part of their DNA. A true developer always aims for innovation and never settles for studying and mastering one programming language. If you are planning to employ a developer for a long-term project, hiring a developer who mastered but a single skill set might not be a good idea. In the tech industry, a skill may become outdated maybe after a year or more. That is why it is more convenient to hire a developer who can easily adapt and learn new technologies.
- Excellent communication—Communication is very important for developers. Why? Developers work closely with project managers, coordinate with designers, and constantly communicate with colleagues. If your developer candidates are not easy communicators, it might lead to more trouble than good. It is through communication that you and your team of developers can achieve the output that you are aiming.
These are only a few of many criteria when hiring a team of developer to work on your product. There also interview questions you can ask your candidates to test their knowledge and dedication.
Shortage of skilled developers in the U.S.
Are you ready to start your quest on hiring skilled and dedicated developers? However, here’s another dilemma that you might be facing. The United States is facing a shortage of skilled developers.
For over nine years, software engineering positions have been a bane in the throat of companies since they are so hard to fill. But companies thought of a rising solution to accommodate their dilemma. They thought that if they couldn’t find skilled developers in their local area, why not try looking at other locations where skilled developers are abundantly housed. And that is how offshoring was conceived.
Offshore software development has been on the rise for so many years and it doesn’t seem to be slowing down any time soon. A lot of companies are realizing and appreciating the advantages that offshore outsourcing is gaining for small to medium, and even large businesses. So where should you hire offshore developers?
When it comes to offshore outsourcing, the Philippines is your place to be. The Philippines has excellent and skilled developers who have gained a lot of praise in the offshore outsourcing scene. The country is even hailed as one of the best offshoring destinations in the world.
There are a lot of advantages if you choose your developers from the Philippines:
- Excellent English communication—Filipinos are globally known to be proficient in the English language, almost every Filipino could understand and speak English. The Philippines even ranked fourteenth out of eighty-eight countries and regions in the EF English Proficiency Index.
- Western-style culture—The Philippines was once an American colony for over four decades, long enough for the western culture to embed in the minds and lifestyle of Filipinos. American culture is very prevalent in Filipino culture from fashion, music, food, TV shows, and movies. This thin line between two cultures makes it easier for western businesses to smoothly partner with developers from the Philippines.
- A roster of skilled developers—For so many years, Business Process Outsourcing (BPO) has helped the rise of the country’s economy. Seeing the benefits that BPO has brought, the government proactively promotes education systems that cater to the demand of the BPO industry wherein Information Technology is part of the list. The country has a lot of information technology graduates that are well-versed in various programming languages such as .NET and Java, legacy application, and general application development.
- Affordable developer rates—Asia, where the Philippines belongs, offers the cheapest software development services among most regions. The hourly rate of a senior developer fluctuates from $30–$42.
You can opt to hire freelance developers but the best to go is to choose an Offshore Development Center (ODC), like Full Scale.
Listen to Episode 26 of the Startup Hustle Podcast – How I Ended Up in Cebu City
The Full Scale Leverage
Full Scale hires only the developers are the best in their field. We will take away the stress of hiring people off your plate. All you need to do is give the details on the skill set that you need and we will take care of finding them for you. We handle everything from recruitment, screening, interviews, and hiring.
What about the infrastructure? No need to worry. We provide the office space, equipment, Internet connection, and everything else. What we will need from you is a comprehensive view of your ideas and smooth communication in the production.
We know it is hard to trust a third-party business to handle a part of your production, especially if they are located halfway around the globe. However, Full Scale is an offshore development company you can trust.
The company was founded by two notable entrepreneurs who trusted the skills of Filipino developers. Now, their companies are gaining success. They want to help small businesses to achieve their goals by offshoring, the same way they successfully established their companies.
At Full Scale, we can help you scale up your business.