Do you want to hire web developers for your own company? Are you on your way to apply for a job? Planning to take on courses in web development? Do you want to become a web developer for your dream company? If your answer is yes, then we have what you are looking for. In this blog, we will discuss various web developer questions and try as much to answer them.
What is web development?
First, we should get to know what web development is. A simple Google search would tell us that web development (website development) is a broad term referring to the tasks associated with developing websites hosted via the internet or the intranet. It is about building websites through coding and programming its features and functionalities based on the owner’s requirements.
These requirements are achieved through web development processes such as web design, content development, client-side or server-side configurations, database structuring, and network security configurations. That said, we can determine the web developer’s job description from the definitions given.
What is a web developer's job description?
Web developers build and shape the experience of each user or client visiting a website. A web developer then has to deal with the process of producing a complete website either working on one node of the project or working along the development line.
Web developers work closely with project managers and designers to ensure that the final product is aligned within its scope, feature and functionality, design requirements, allocated budget, and schedule. Along with this process, important duties also subject the web developer to collaborate and communicate closely with clients, take regular assessments, attend scheduled scrum meetings, and more. From there, we would know the necessary roles and skills that can be expected from a web developer.
What are the roles of a web developer?
Work closely with a project manager for task updates and alignments - Web developers must build a strong rapport with their managers to properly relay updates on the progress of the project. This also enables the web developer to keep up with the client or owner.
Coordinate with designers to achieve desired visual outputs - This is the side of web development that is essential for product outputs. The web developer coordinates with the designers to achieve the required features and functionalities in line with the website’s entirety and aesthetics.
Practice constant communication with colleagues - Teamwork is important in web development. With this, communication plays a vital role among the members of the team. Web developers should be steadfast in communicating whatever updates that have been applied, issues that have been encountered, and fixes that have been implemented. The contact channel for each member of the team should be accessible in case important issues arise. Like in relationships, communication is key.
Aim to create highly appealing and engaging sites that best fit the client and/or user needs - As a web developer, one shouldn’t limit working on what is to be done, but also focus on giving the best output as possible. They should also think outside of the box in order to provide the best and most satisfactory products for the clients.
What skills should a web developer possess?
The web developers should also have technicals skills that will enable them to handle work-related tasks. These skills are very essential when you are working in software development, in general. Some of these skills include:
- Building products using HTML/CSS/JS for frontend development
- Understanding OOP
- Documenting project build and maintenance
- Maintaining websites
- Updating websites
- Familiarizing debugging tools
Aside from the technical skills, the web developer should also possess soft skills. Soft skills are interpersonal skills such as people skills, ethics, and personality that help them to be productive both independently and as a teammate. Among these skills include:
Coordination - One should be organized in order to be manageable and accurate when it comes to the tasks. This certain trait will help web developers align with each other in terms of the requirements and standards that are agreed upon prior to the beginning of the development.
Attention to detail - Staying precise and accurate makes a web developer competent as a worker. Attention to detail is very important in programming, especially that in one single project, there may be heaps of programming languages and conversions that can be encountered.
Time management - Web developers should be able to manage their time wisely. They should be able to determine which tasks to prioritize so they can work their way in and out of the project as timely as possible.
Communication - This skill is one of the most important among the soft skills. As mentioned, communication is an essential part of the whole development process. This could make or break any project under development. Web developers should be able to address their concerns, should they arise, and give constant updates on the changes and updates that have been made on his part of the project.
Working well under pressure - Development is a time-sensitive endeavor that should be handled critically. Therefore, this requires the web developers to stay steadfast and approach problems head first so as to prevent the time pressure.
Now that we have discussed some items that are integral to being a web developer, we will continue to discuss what questions are typically raised during web developer interviews or just web development on its own.
Web Developer Interview Questions
Questions will always vary according to the type of web developer you are aiming. Commonly, web developers are employed by IT companies for their product and website developments. On a normal setting, a human resources recruitment officer would ask some questions such as: What’s your programming expertise? What are the projects that you have done that you are proud of? How many years of experience do you have? For freelancers, you may also be asked by your clients with these questions.
Here are seven common web developer interview questions and tips on answering them.
What is your programming language expertise?
- Answering this question should be easy. Just be honest about what you’re best at and make sure to emphasize it. State some projects where you have used that specific language and mention some other ones that you are also good at.
What are the projects that you have done that you are proud of?
- For this one, it is a plus if you can state the biggest project you have worked on based on your experience. However, one thing that would also make you stand out from the others is mentioning the project that you are actually proud of. This could be a project where you really put your heart into accomplishing or one that is awarded.
How do you keep up with the latest trends and updates in development?
- Your answer to this question determines your initiative as a programmer and how you handle new things that will be thrown at you. As technology evolves, the development process is also dynamic. To nail the question, just be honest with an answer that is backed up by your experience. If you think you don’t have much experience in handling such things, you may state your curiosity and willingness to adapt to the latest trends.
What are your best soft skills?
- This, of course, is a question that relates to your interpersonal skills. There are things mentioned above to take note of and, as much as possible, you should possess. Soft skills are very essential in maintaining a good working dynamic between you and your workmates.
How would you describe yourself?
- You could answer this according to how your previous colleagues or friends describe you. Be as transparent as possible when answering this question.
If you can’t solve a problem at work, what would you do?
- There really is no right or wrong answer with this because it is your own problem coping mechanism. However, it would be better to acknowledge your inexperience or inadequacy on the problem and seek help like a quick Google search, a Stack Overflow thread, or asking your colleagues. As mentioned, communicating your issues with your workmates mobilizes the workplace dynamics.
How do would you describe your work process?
- For technical questions, your answer has to be specific and clear. Prior to the interview, make sure that you have enough familiarity with the whole process like using snippets for quick layouts, some jQuery, and start coding, or opting for a more in-depth approach.
These are just some basic questions that may be asked. Questions will really vary depending on the interview and the workload that you will be handling in case you get the job. You may also be asked technical questions such as code organization, the purpose of web platforms and frameworks, debugging and debugging tools, and SEO consideration among others.
Full Scale is here for you!
Are you looking for web developers who can help you develop beautiful and quality websites for your business? Or are you a web developer who want to extend your talents to the world? Full Scale is here for you!
Full Scale is a roster of talented individuals dedicated to producing quality outputs through our range of development services. With a pool of software development teams experienced in different programming languages, our company helps business owners with the development of their business websites and systems.
Full Scale also offers other services that help a business grow in the digital world such as web and mobile application development, search engine optimization, graphic design, business consultancy, and content writing.