How to Find Expert Software Testers
When you’re planning to build a software product, it’s important that it’s bug-free and performs according to set standards. Hiring a software tester can help you identify bugs and issues in the user interface, performance, and usability of the software. Check out today’s article for some great tips for hiring a software testing expert.
In April 2015, Starbucks lost millions of dollars due to massive outages in several of its POS systems across the US, Canada, and Latin America. As a result, they gave away thousands of free coffee to appease their customers.
Of course, people wouldn’t mind receiving free coffee occasionally. But we can’t say the same thing for the Starbucks store owners who took huge revenue losses due to their faulty software.
We couldn’t stress enough how important software testing is. Software bugs can be disastrous to your business and even cost the lives of people, too.
You need a software tester to keep your software product or service defect-free. While hiring one can be challenging, you can still attract expert testers to your company. Today, we’ll show you the steps to finding and hiring software testers in this article.
Before doing so, let’s understand the basic principles of software testing and how software testers maintain software quality, from development to post-release customer support.
What is Software Testing?
Software testing is the process of checking whether the software product or solutions match the target outcome. It aims to inform stakeholders with information about the quality of the software under the test.
Software testing identifies any gaps, errors or issues to verify if the software is fit for use. This can be done manually or using automation tools.
Its scope includes examining the code and executing the code in different machines and environments. This can include testing on different browsers or devices. The software testing process should answer this question: Does this software do what it’s designed to do?
What does a Software Tester do?
A software tester is responsible for evaluating bugs, defects or issues in the development and deployment of software. They perform automated and manual software testing to ensure that the software built by developers adheres to its purpose.
Their responsibilities include checking for bugs and, prevention of software issues. They perform all of the tests for functionality, performance, stress and user acceptance at various stages of the software life cycle.
Since software testing is critical to the usability and quality of the software, software testers are hired at the planning and design stages. Oftentimes, they stay even beyond the product release.
Know what you’re looking for in a Software Tester
Are you clear with the skills and attributes that are important for this role? If you’re not, it could be difficult to get the results you need to succeed with your project.
Before hiring software testers, create an outline of what your ideal candidate should be. In this way, you have an idea of the skills, experience, and qualifications you’re looking for and the test you can provide them.
As an example, find out if having years of software experience is important to you. Should the candidate be able to distinguish various approaches depending on the project scope? Are attributes such as effective communication, critical thinking, and creativity critical when performing software testing?
Here’s a rundown of the technical and soft skills when looking for a software tester.
Here are some of the technical skills that a highly skilled software tester should have:
- Basic knowledge of database/SQL and Linux commands
- Experience with using test management techniques and tools
- Mastery with using bug-tracking tools (ex. Bugzilla) and automation tools
Aside from the technical skills, a software tester needs to possess the right attitude and mindset to work alone and with a team.
- Sharp analytical skills
- Effective verbal and written skills
- Time management skills
- Cultural fit
- Passion for their profession
Where to find the best candidate?
Next up is finding your ideal software tester. Where do they hang out, anyway? In the past, you can simply post job openings on newspapers and websites, and the applications would just pour in.
Nowadays, most high-caliber software testers are already employed. For those that aren’t, plenty of them does not scan job listings on newspapers to look for opportunities. Here are other places or ways you can find the best candidates to fill this role:
- Internet – Follow them on tech communities such as LinkedIn, Twitter, testing forums, or online groups. Find out if they have a blog site or portfolio to verify their work.
- Meetup events – Many of them attend to these community events to network, share ideas or just bond with their friends. If there aren’t any in your area, create one and see if you can invite software testers to your meetup.
- Publish content they like – Publishing blogs or articles that pique the interest of software testers is a great avenue to attract them to your site and encourage them to find out more about your company.
- Offshore software company – Another way to hire software testers is through an offshore company such as Full Scale. Here at Full Scale, we help clients grow their software development team by providing them access to expert software testers, developers, project managers, web designers, and content writers.
Interview & Test
To give you an overview of how your candidate thinks and behaves, you set them up for an interview and work test. What do you want to know about the candidate? How will you gauge their attributes through these tests and interviews?
These are some things you can consider:
- Was the candidate able to complete the test on the time allocated?
- Can the candidate express his or her thoughts effectively?
- Does the candidate have the specific software testing qualifications and experience needed for this role?
Hire Winners for your Software Team!
By following the advice shared in this post, you’ll be able to hire the best software tester with specific skills, qualifications, and personality that you’re looking for.
For huge software development projects that require a rigorous screening process, we suggest you go with trusted offshore software experts. Here at Full Scale, we have a comprehensive approach to growing your software team.
From screening, interviewing, testing, and successfully onboarding a software expert, we have the tools, systems, and people to make the offshoring process easier and affordable for you. So, talk to us and start mobilizing your software project today.