Best Productivity Tools for .NET Developers in 2019
Productivity tools in software development
Productivity, in the workplace, refers to how efficiently the employees accomplish their company’s goals in producing goods and services for their customers. In software development, a productivity tool is a software application that will help programmers and developers make their work much easier in the different stages of software development.
The basic stages of software development are:
- Analyzing the problem
- Market research
- Gathering requirements for the proposed business solution
- Coming up with a plan or design for the software-based solution
- Implementation (coding) of the software
- Testing the software
- Deployment of the software
- Maintenance and bug fixing
Productivity tools in software development have many functions and use cases. For example, there are tools that can analyze the quality of the code being developed, tools that can detect, analyze, and fix code errors, tools that can function as plug-in extensions for integrated development environments, and so on. Productivity tools have become essential in the software development process because they can prevent waste of time, money and resources, increase efficiency, and help the developers to produce resilient and high-quality products.
Over the years, various productivity tools have been developed for specific programming languages and software technologies. The .NET framework is no exception when it comes to having its own development tools; these tools will help .NET developers build and develop a wide range of applications with the use of the framework.
What is the .NET framework?
.NET is a free, cross-platform, open source development platform for building different types of applications. This Microsoft development platform has long been one of the top platforms for building enterprise software applications. With the use of the .NET framework, software developers can use multiple programming languages, editors, and libraries to build application models for the web, mobile, desktop, gaming, machine learning, and artificial intelligence, and the Internet of things (IoT).
The .NET framework is one of the most productive platforms for software developers because it helps them develop high-quality applications much faster. The framework can be used with several programming languages such as C#, F#, IronPython, Visual Basic, and TypeScript.
A .NET developer is responsible for designing, tailoring, and developing software applications that use the .NET framework. The developer’s primary roles are determination and analysis of the software’s prerequisites and also continuous maintenance and support for the software.
Importance of productivity tools in .NET
Various productivity tools based in .NET have come out in recent years to help developers with their work. These .NET developer tools are very important because their benefits have made it easier for the developers to perform many of their software development tasks. These tasks include analysis of code, measuring code quality, determination, and fixing of errors, code debugging, and other tasks associated with software application development. The importance of .NET development tools brings us to our main topic which is about the best productivity tools for .NET developers in 2019.
The best productivity tools for .NET developers in 2019
Below is a list of some of the best .NET developer tools in 2019:
- Stackify Prefix – A code profiler that runs in the background while you are running your applications. It captures all of the web requests and provides detailed traces of what the requests did. The tool troubleshoots slow web requests, finds slow SQL queries and hidden exceptions, and looks for bad coding patterns like an N+1 database query.
- Redgate SQL Multi Script – Allows you to implement multiple scripts across multiple SQL servers and saves you considerable time by reducing the steps needed to complete your tasks. SQL Multi Script also allows easy querying of databases through an efficient interface that includes features for speedy editing.
- ReSharper – This is a Visual Studio Extension tool that provides beneficial features: (1) Analysis of code quality so you’ll know if your code needs to be revised for improvement; (2) Hundreds of quick-fixes that can instantly repair code problems automatically or let you select the best repair option from a variety of quick-fix options; (3) Code refactoring that analyzes the whole scope of the code selection to which it is applied; (4) Navigation and search allow you to easily jump to any file or type in your code base, or navigate from a specific symbol to its base, derived symbols, implementations, and usages; and (5) Code editing helpers that help you with auto-importing of namespaces, instant code transformations, displaying of documentation, and rearranging of code.
- LINQPad – A client/server application with just one client and multiple servers. For every query, the LINQPad tool creates a separate server, which is a class that runs in its own process and implements the query in isolation. The isolation prevents the queries from interfering with each other and allows the tool to safely cancel a query without corrupting other application domains.
- NuGet – NuGet is a Microsoft-supported mechanism for sharing code that defines how packages for .NET are created, hosted, and consumed. You can use a NuGet package to share code that is exclusive to a community, organization or workgroup. You can also use the package as the easiest method to factor your own code for use in your own projects.
- NUnit – An open source framework designed for writing and running tests in the Microsoft .NET programming languages. With the use of this tool, a test can be run continuously and multiple tests can be run at the same time. NUnit also provides immediate test results, and it does not require human interpretation of test results. This tool also makes it possible to easily fix bugs as they are detected.
- TeamCity – A continuous integration tool that supports the building and deployment of different types of projects. The advantages of TeamCity include automatically triggering the build once a developer commits it, you can test your change without committing it into the version control system and there are many available TeamCity plugins which make the integration with other services very efficient.
- Octopus – One of the most powerful tools for deployment of ASP.NET applications and Windows Services. It takes care of your development, quality assurance, acceptance testing, and production deployments. You can also use Octopus to limit who can deploy the application for production, ensure the software has been tested first before release, schedule the deployments at a later date, and block the promotion of broken software releases.
- NDepend – A Visual Studio extension that accurately measures the general health of your application and continuously maintains code quality. NDepend’s analysis and reporting system provides continuous integration reporting and can detect excessively complex code through its unique diagramming capabilities. The tool’s in-depth reporting and customized code queries can help maintain large and complex projects.
- .NET Reflector – With the use of .NET Reflector, you can effectively debug your application by determining the specific source of the problem, understand the code of applications that have no documentation and comments, and look inside the assemblies of third-party platforms.
Conclusion on the best productivity tools
We have to clarify though that the productivity tools for .NET developers that we mentioned in this article will still be relevant even beyond 2019. The companies that developed these .NET developer tools regularly come out with updates or revisions for these tools to keep them updated and relevant with the constantly changing technologies in software development. As a software developer, your primary factor for choosing a good .NET productivity tool should still be based on the efficiency of the tool and the benefits it will bring to your work.
Listen to Episode 84 of the Startup Hustle Podcast – Technology That Will Change Your Life
Hire your remote .NET developers from Full Scale
If you’re a software development company owner who has decided to hire .NET developers remotely, your next step is to choose an offshoring company that can provide you with a team of .NET developers. Choose Full Scale! We are based in Cebu City, Philippines and we can help you find .NET developers to scale up your local team in the U.S.!
Our Guided Development program is our unique principle of how we work with our clients. We provide you with a dedicated team of software developers who will work directly with you on a daily basis, and you will guide their development efforts.
Working with Full Scale to hire .NET developers is easy. You just tell us exactly what level of experience you are looking for along with any special skill sets such as Angular or React. We do all the recruiting to find you the developers that you need. It typically takes us two to six weeks to recruit and build your team.
Our developers are highly skilled at using C# and creating enterprise-grade ASP.NET web applications. Many of the .NET developers that we hire also have experience with .NET Core, SQL Server, Angular, React, Microsoft Azure, and other common technologies that are part of the modern Microsoft stack. Contact us to know more about our offshoring services for software development.