If you’re wondering what a chief software architect does, then you’ve come to the right place. Here we will discuss what the executive does, its role, and how to become one. Let’s explore.
A chief software architect is responsible for inspiring new software innovations for an organization. Its main role serves as a basis for progressive products centered on the organization’s core mission and vision.
However, becoming a chief software architect requires years of experience and full-cycle development expertise. One must also have in-depth knowledge on development methodologies, like Agile and Scrum, among others.
But will these requirements suffice to become a chief software architect? What more does the job entail other than being a leader in the whole software development life cycle? And how can one become the chief software architect?
Read the discussion to discover more information about the role.
What Is A Chief Software Architect?
A chief software architect is a leader responsible for developing new, innovative, and creative ideas in the software development environment. The professional serves as the basis for a company’s next generation of software products. The role includes:
1. Being the Chief Instigator and Thought Leader
The chief software architect needs to stay ahead of the competition. As an instigator for innovation, the position calls on the professional’s skill to stay on top of market leadership.
One thing that CSAs are responsible for is to make sure that the technology is working. Even if it means changing the architecture or tech stack to keep the software functioning. That’s why one of the position’s most important requirements is high-level technical knowledge.
CSAs support the company’s mission and vision and reflect it on the product they offer. Thus, they need to have the ability to improve products under their responsibility. A high understanding of the IT space and how technologies work together is key.
Since this is a leadership role, CSA must effectively work with the team to create new products or features for its users. Leading brainstorming sessions is one way to hear about new ideas that will bring product value to the users.
Remember, the chief software architect is an advocate for the company. Therefore, the person must ensure that development teams understand its importance in product development.
2. Coordinates efforts across the organization
There is truth in the quote, “Teamwork makes the dream work.” Coordinated efforts across teams are not only efficient but very effective in the delivery of quality products.
The CSA’s job is to keep teams motivated and aligned to the core business goal, mission, and vision. To achieve success, they must have experience leading teams and communicating big business goals effectively.
Since CSAs need to know the trends and discover new technologies in the space. It is their responsibility to find solutions for teams to deliver faster.
One way could be using new technologies in the current product. And then check its compatibility and ease of integration, or experiment to see what works best. They need to know when to get their hands dirty and write code with their team when needed.
Roles and Responsibilities of A CSA
What does a day of a chief software architect look like? Here is an overview of their responsibilities in an organization.
- Handles all DevOps, including back-end code.
- Finds solutions to software teams’ tech stack problems.
- Executes approved budgets.
- Leads the design of software solutions and guides in maintaining legacy software. This includes creating the process for fixing bugs, enhancements, and internal support.
- Identify all requirements involved in product development, including specific tools and coding language.
- Provides a detailed roadmap that will show the future of the organization.
Regardless of the organization’s size, it’s the CSA’s job to make the development ecosystem become efficient and innovative. This allows teams to work seamlessly, increase performance, deliver results, and succeed.
How to Become A Chief Software Architect
If you’re aiming to become one or looking for someone to hire, you must consider the amount of education one has before becoming a CSA. Here are some qualifications you need to consider for the role.
Skills and Experience
Having a leadership role will require proven expertise in the IT industry. In leading software development teams, the following skills are required:
- Strong leadership will help drive teams to build, manage, and deliver requirements. He creates inspired workforces for higher team performance.
- Prior experience in leading and managing teams as a Product or Project Manager.
- Has a high sense of responsibility and work ethics even when under pressure.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Confident and possesses a can-do attitude towards work to be able to make the right decisions quickly.
Besides having proven leadership skills, a chief software architect must have the necessary technical skills to function effectively:
- Experience in software development in mixed programming languages that includes Ruby on Rails, back-end systems, and web-driven environments.
- Experience in developing programs in Linux or Unix environments.
- Design and development experience in REST API.
- Must be knowledgeable of the following technologies: J2EE, Web Services, XML, SOAP, XSL, HTML / DHTML, and HTTP.
- Uses SQL, NoSQL, and statistical tools to work with large data sets and develop analytic software.
- Understanding of search engines such as Apache Solr and Elasticsearch
- Thorough knowledge of relational database design, OLAP, and NoSQL models is required (SQL, MDX, etc.)
- Needs to have experience in software product planning, strategy, and testing.
- Has the ability to develop and perform regression testing and quality assurance.
- Developing and delivering high-quality enterprise-level software
- Proven experience in software architecture and engineering
- Experience in maintaining network infrastructure and server management
- Extensive experience developing software systems that use data mining, machine learning, or statistical/econometric techniques, methods, and algorithms.
- Able to develop profiling tools, analytics for big data, and rules-based systems.
Every lead architect needs to know all about company processes. The job requires technical knowledge in security, data management, storage, and network areas. Depending on the organization’s size, chief software architects coordinate the efforts of other tech architects, namely the chief data architect, chief security architect, and the chief cloud architect.
How much do they make?
An experienced chief software architect earns $178,500 annually, but the salary ranges from $161,564 to $198,126. Compensation can vary from one candidate to another. This depends on many factors—education, experience, certifications, skills, and the length of time spent in the area of expertise.
As you can see, becoming a CSA involves a lot of effort put into learning. The experience you get from leading teams proves to help you move forward. As you progress through your career, being a lead architect might be your ticket to becoming a chief technology officer.
What makes a CSA different from a CTO?
The chief technology officer is responsible for long-term business strategy. The CSA implements the vision and reports directly to the CTO or CEO. Both roles require similar levels of experience and expertise in architecture, research, quality assurance, coding, plus leadership skills.
CSAs have to gain practical knowledge necessary to strategize and bring business success before becoming a CTO. More importantly, the CSA should be the most capable tech person in the organization.
In summary, chief software architects are responsible for controlling and maintaining the product development process. They report any progress to the chief technology officer and deal with all stakeholders.
One tip, make sure to grab learning opportunities whenever they present themselves. The passion and drive for learning and experimentation will help you create new technologies helpful in any industry. Notice trends and get excited about new things.
Hire A Chief Software Architect from Full Scale!
We know how challenging it is to find someone to fill the role of a chief software architect. With the high requirement of skills and technical experience, one wrong hire might break your company’s success. That’s why we’re here.
Here at Full Scale, we searched everywhere for qualified candidates to hire. We aim to increase the number of skilled developers, software architects, and engineers to serve our clients better. We do this because we care about the future of tech and how it can impact the world we live in.
By profiling candidates at all skill levels, we allow our clients to choose and interview the ones whose profiles stand out the most. Applicants undergo a rigorous hiring process, so you can be sure that the ones we hire are the best in the industry.
Our goal is to ensure that our clients and employees are well taken care of. Talk to us today, and see how we can help support your growth as an employee or founder. Hire the right people to get the right results now!