Hiring and retaining skilled IT professionals in the US is difficult. The shortage of software developers in the country is an ongoing issue with the demand surpassing supply by a large margin. The country has been battling labor shortage for years with more job openings than there are eligible workers to fill them. Even Silicon Valley, home to many of the largest tech companies in the world, is constantly struggling to find qualified professionals for their vacancies.
Meanwhile, in the Philippines, the IT industry is flourishing. With the advancement of infrastructures and resources, IT professionals are rapidly learning new skill sets and honing acquired ones. In fact, a large number of IT professionals are willing to branch out to other specialties, taking on certifications to qualify for higher positions.
A large number of software developers, project managers, and system administrators are looking for career opportunities in their field but there’s a limited amount of job openings in the local scene. Employment issues are at an all-time high with greater pessimism on job availability. The number of people available for work continues to increase each year with the labor force participation rate rising to 65% as of 2018.
Although there’s an abundance of experienced and talented IT professionals looking for work, there are not enough career opportunities for them in the country. Which leads to most IT professionals seeking jobs abroad or doing freelance work.
For that reason, the Philippines becomes a feasible talent pool for international companies to hire IT professionals from. In fact, with its booming IT industry, it has garnered the title of being one of the Top 5 Super Cities in the world. Leading in digital innovation and transformation, the Philippines is an ideal offshoring destination for foreign businesses.
In the age of digital media, you need to keep up with the latest trends in order to grow your business. To do this, you need to recruit the best team to digitally transform and upgrade your operations by leveraging modern technologies like AI, mobility, analytics, cloud, social media, blockchain and cybersecurity. As a leader in services globalization, the Philippines can certainly commoditize these services.
Finding and Keeping IT Talents
1. Recruiting the right people
Each business has its own specific need for the type of services they offer. It is especially critical for startups who are just establishing their brand to identify what kind of work they need from IT professionals. You need the right group of people to understand your vision and implement it.
For starters, you need to learn and assess what type of IT services are being offered. There’s a broad range of digital services you can apply: website development, branding, online marketing, content writing, and SEO. You need a team of professionals who have solid experience with each of these specializations.
An offshoring company can help you identify your business needs and recommend the right people qualified to handle the work. It is essential to find the specific skill set necessary for the type of project your team needs to handle.
2. Managing the team
With proper time and workload management, projects can be completed faster and more efficiently. When you offshore IT services, the time zone difference can be used to your business’ advantage. The offshore team can resume the unfinished work from your main operations or they can work ahead of schedule so your staff can maximize their hours.
Managing offshore teams is generally a hassle which is why it’s a good idea to just hire a project manager for your offshore team to handle the tedious task of delegating the workload. You can send off time-consuming business processes and focus on developing your company’s core competencies.
3. Keeping your talents
Great benefits also benefit you. You need to provide the right incentives to ensure your hired talents will commit long-term. Career stability, competitive pay, and perks play a large factor in retaining your employees. One of the best benefits of offshoring is that you don’t have to worry about providing and dealing with all these because the local management can keep tabs on it. Just comply with all the necessities for your offshore business and you’re good to go!
Perks of Hiring from the Philippines
- Large Tech Talent Pool – With over 2000 universities nationwide, you’re guaranteed a fresh batch of young and eager talents each year. Most colleges offer a wide variety of specializations in the tech field producing professionals with versatile potential. In fact, schools like AMA Computer University and STI College are focused on offering information technology-related courses for students who want to specialize in the field.
- Affordable Rates – Cheaper labor pay and great tax incentives. The Philippines has even recently reformed their tax laws in favor of foreign investors. International firms who qualify for tax incentives will pay lower or zero tax rates when they employ more people, provide additional training and career opportunities to staff, buy their resources locally and reinvest their profits.
- Excellent Communication Skills – With English as a second language, Filipinos are notable for their communication skills. In fact, the country ranks #14 in English Proficiency globally, with more than half of its population able to speak and understand the language. There's no need to worry about any miscommunication issues with work.
- Developing Country - The Philippines has made a name for itself in the business world for having the fastest-growing economy in Southeast Asia. Its GDP grew by an average of 6.7 percent in the first three quarters of 2017 and is expected to sustain such robust momentum in the next three years. The country continues to evolve with new developments underway to better benefit foreign investors.
How to Offshore IT?
If you’re considering offshoring your IT services to the Philippines, you’ll have to consider a few challenges. One of them being the Philippines have a complex regulatory system that takes time to fully understand and adjust to.
Another is finding the right people that could meet your needs. The offshoring process is a complicated and time-consuming one which is why it’s better to leave it to leave it to the experts who handles offshoring projects.
Full Scale offers a wide variety of robust and scalable web development services, Illustration services, business consultation, content writing, and search engine optimization —all strategically designed to improve your business operations. We can connect you to the right people and help you offshore your business properly to the Philippines. Contact us and learn more about our services today!