What it takes to be a well-rounded PHP Developer
A PHP developer writes, tests and maintains the source code for applications, programs, and websites that use PHP – a server-side scripting language primarily used for business applications and web development. They also handle the writing, troubleshooting, testing, and maintenance of the code for computer programs. As of January 2019, it’s estimated that about 78.9% of all the websites that use server-side programming are based on PHP. That’s why PHP developers are very much in demand in the software development market.
What Does a PHP Developer Do?
Job responsibilities and tasks
A PHP developer takes on several job responsibilities and tasks whether working for a company or as a freelancer. Here is a list of a PHP developer’s responsibilities:
- Code analysis – There is a comprehensive analysis of the new or existing website’s requirements. The developer convenes with the development team to conceive new ideas for creating or revising the website and conducts a feasibility study of those ideas to decide which ones to use. The developer also determines the features and functionalities to be included in the website and finally decides on the site’s final design and layout.
- Development and database optimization – Developers use their technical knowledge for the actual development of the website. They also make sure that the website is dynamic in nature and the necessary PHP script is embedded into it. Then, they check the website for database optimization.
- Testing and implementation – PHP developers test the website to detect any errors, assess, and debug them. They seek sign-off from management to finalize the website and hosts it on the Internet after getting approved.
- Maintenance and improvement of visibility – Regular maintenance and updates to the website are performed by the developer after it becomes active on the Internet. He fine tunes the website’s functionalities to improve the user interface and visibility to make sure that the site has a good impression for its users.
The tasks of PHP developers are correlated to the tasks of other software developers. A PHP developer’s tasks are:
- Designing, implementing, and maintaining of the phases of PHP applications
- Developing, testing, implementing, and maintaining of application software
- Developing technical designs for application development and application code for PHP programs
- Taking part in the architectural and software development activities of the development team
- Analyzing, programming, testing, and debugging of software
- Identifying production and non-production issues for the applications
- Converting a software’s requirements into specifications
- Endorsing changes for the software to improve its application processes
What you need to be a versatile PHP developer
The parties that want to offshore PHP developers are software development company owners and third-party offshore service providers. They have clients who are looking for well-rounded PHP developers who have the necessary education, training, experience, technical skills, and soft skills. All of these traits define a well-balanced PHP developer.
The traits of a well-rounded PHP developer:
- Education – Most developers have a bachelor’s degree in computer science, information technology, software engineering, or other IT-related fields. To prepare a career in PHP development, the bachelor’s program should include courses in computer architecture, algorithms and data structures, object-oriented programming, operating systems, quantitative reasoning, and web programming.
- Training – An IT graduate pursuing a career in PHP development can apply for two to four months internships in IT companies where he or she can gain practical skills in an actual working environment. He or she can also take short-term PHP courses through online tutorials or actual classes in schools. The short-term courses that can be taken include PHP for beginners, PHP with MySQL, PHP with Laravel, and object-oriented PHP. The best websites for learning PHP are StackOverflow, Udemy, Codecourse, Stone River eLearning, PHP Manual, Killer PHP, PHP 101, Hacking with PHP, Tizag, Learn-PHP Interactive Tutorial, PHP: The Right Way, SitePoint PHP, and PHP basics.
- Work experience – The work experience of a well-rounded PHP developer depends on the level of the developer – junior, mid-level, and senior developer. A junior developer has zero to two years of experience. A mid-level developer has two to four years of experience. A senior developer has five to eight years of experience including extensive experience in solving problems of various complexities.
The soft skills are a combination of personal attributes and traits, communication skills, social skills, people skills, and emotional and social intelligences that are needed by employees to succeed in the workplace. These soft skills are applicable to PHP developers because they work in team-oriented environments where cooperation and coordination are essential. Soft skills are as important as technical skills in helping to make a well-rounded PHP developer.
A PHP developer should have the following soft skills:
- Problem-solving – Many problems are detected during the software development life cycle process. The developer should know how to identify and analyze the problem, and come up with possible solutions for it. He or she and the development team will then select which solution is the best.
- Critical thinking – This is assessing the facts and details of a certain problem before deciding and executing the best solution. Critical thinking allows a developer to mentally test a solution before selecting which is the most efficient.
- Adaptability – This refers to a developer’s openness to learn new skills and acquire additional responsibilities. Adaptability allows a developer to adjust to changing situations and react positively to comments and criticism about the results of his or her deliverables.
- Empathy – This allows developers to fully understand the problems that their team is facing and helps them work together to find solutions. Additionally, empathizing with the software’s intended users enables the developers to see things from their point of view so they can understand what they require from software being developed.
- Continuous learning – Learning is a continuous process. As the developers transfer from one company to another, they should continue to improve their skills and knowledge. They can also acquire additional knowledge through guidance from more experienced peers.
Offshoring your PHP development projects from Full Scale
You should offshore PHP developers from the Philippines because the developers there are highly skilled with much cheaper rates relative to their American counterparts. A Filipino PHP developer earns an average pay of PHP 309,297 ($5,922) per year compared to an American developer with an average pay of $62,660 per year. It makes good business sense to hire a Filipino PHP developer for less but doing the same type of work as an American developer.
Offshoring PHP development in Cebu City, Philippines, is more viable for your business because it’s where you’ll find Full Scale – one of the leading offshore service companies in Cebu City. We offer PHP developers with competitive rates but we don’t compromise the quality of our recruitment process. We have an extensive applicant screening process consisting of technical exams and technical interviews by our senior developers. Our PHP developers are a mix of junior, mid-level, and senior developers with some of them experienced in Full Stack PHP, PHPUnit, and CakePHP. We hire only the best of the best. Contact us for more information about our offshoring services.