Top 10 Latest Software Testing Trends for 2019
Software testing is an important, if not the most crucial, part of software development. It is the stage where the actual results are inspected, assessed, and modified to match the expected results from the beginning of the development. This involves executing the components of the system or the software to evaluate its performance and ensure that it functions as indicated in the software/system requirements.
The ways of testing have transformed as trends of software testing continue to influence the process. This year is no different. Influenced by the advancements and enhancements of the past years, 2019 is looking at these trends to populate the software testing scene.
Here are the top 10 updates we can expect in software testing:
1. Test using machine learning and AI—AI and Machine Learning seemed unattainable years ago but the recent technological marvels led us to gain access to its advantages and benefits. Recently, we’ve come to utilize its practical applications in software development.
In 2019, we will be able to witness the application of AI and machine learning in software testing. These two will be used simultaneously to create tools that can forecast application behavior and provide smart analytics. Apparently so, with the application of both on software testing, we would be able to experience maximum results with minimum errors and discrepancies.
2. Developers will assume the DevOps framework—What are DevOps? Atlassian describes DevOps as “a set of practices that automates the processes between software development and IT teams, in order that they can build, test, and release software faster and more reliably.”
This trend is expected to be visible in software testing as this shortens the entire software development life cycle. With this concept of continuous integration and continuous delivery, testing and monitoring could also be done simultaneously. This generates smooth tracking of changes and ensures that the outputs are aligned with the requirements.
3. Application of IoT testing will take centerstage—Internet of Things (IoT) has been gaining traction throughout the years. More and more devices are getting connected and more nodes and elements are getting into the picture. IoT Technology enables these nodes to get connected with each other and work harmoniously to exchange data.
In software testing, we would be able to determine security, performance, usability, compatibility, integrity, reliability, and scalability of software products through IoT and its applications.
4. Test automation will be more visible—Automation has always been a solution to make processes even faster than they are. Test automation also ensures that the tests will be carried out effectively and more accurately.
For this to be achieved, specialized tools will be used in the software testing process. Executing the tests will enable the testers to compare the actual results to the expected results using the tools tailor-made for such module or type of test. Regression tests, which require iterative actions for it to be done, can now be automated.
5. Manual and automated testing will be a dynamic duo—With the rise of test automation, more and more Quality Assurance professionals have also started practicing combined automated tests and manual tests. Manual tests will always be constant in the software testing industry due to its results-based reliability. However, automated tests make testing faster. Therefore, a software tester will now be able to gain maximum benefits of higher productivity and shorter timeframe by combining the two types of tests.
In software testing, we would be able to determine security, performance, usability, compatibility, integrity, reliability, and scalability of software products through IoT and its applications. This can mostly be seen on developments that involve hardware in the system.
6. Agile will assist digital transformation in software testing—Businesses have now embraced digital transformation in relevance to the importance of data. Data has never been more valuable and impactful when you compare it to the past decades, which is why going digital is the way for businesses to go further. With this in mind, incorporating the agile methodology to the concept of digital transformation will be more helpful for businesses.
Agile methodology is basically updating or adding new features with each increment of a sprint. This means that for each evaluation in the development process, especially in testing, features that increase value whilst minimizing costs on products can be incorporated. As digital transformation is a continuous process, the agile approach will be helpful in delivering better features with each sprint.
7. Performance engineering will overtake performance testing—Performance testing has recently been down low for software testing. One reason for that is the presence of performance engineering that has been taking place in software testing.
Performance engineering is all about putting a focus on the things that are more prompt and valuable in speeding up their process in order to create higher quality products. Compared to performance testing, this leans more on the architecture, design, and implementation of the software so the development process would be handled as efficiently as possible. With properly engineered design, architecture, and implementation, it will be ensured that the requirements will be delivered on time.
8. SDLCs will be shortened but optimized—Nowadays, technology and businesses are changing rapidly. With this, the pressure to deliver quickly and efficiently has been instilled to the developers. One way to aid this is integrating the development and testing in order to make the software development cycle much shorter. However, certain technologies that specialize in the simultaneous occurrence of these two stages have to be present and reliable in order to achieve this solution.
9. Data centralization and integration for shorter delivery—In order to attain shorter development cycles, integration testing is a need for many development teams. There is now a need to centralize the data from the different subtasks of the software development team—from requirement management systems to task management force and testing environment system. The data that will be collected can then be shared and used by the different subgroups in order to evaluate, assess, and implement swiftly in time for delivery.
10. Security first, security last, security always—The trend to outlast all trends is security testing. One rule to always put to heart in developing software is security. With the digital transformation adopted by many businesses and organizations, it is not enough to just produce a fully functional product complete with its required features. Security is a priority that should not be taken lightly especially if the software products handle important data.
Security testing includes penetration testing, risk assessment, and vulnerability evaluation to make sure that the nodes and modules in a system that are sensitive to data are not easily breached or penetrated. Implementing the optimal amount of security layers will always be a need.
To be able to grasp the trends and advancements in the software testing scene, you should be able to hire software testers who can adapt to new technologies and are eager to learn them. Staying prepared for any up and coming implementations in testing will always lead to better results.
Where can you find software testers?
Full Scale has a pool of talented individuals dedicated to producing quality outputs through our range of development services. Hiring a team may be very challenging but, in Full Scale, we are a one-stop company that can provide for whatever software testing requirements your business needs. With a pool of software development teams experienced in software development, our company helps business owners grow in the ever-changing technological world.