How to Find and Hire C++ Developers
What is C++?
C++ is a general-purpose, object-oriented programming language primarily derived from C. Modern C++ is considered as the safest language because of its security, features and compatibility with several platforms and software. The C++ language is leveraged for various software and platform development requirements. C++ developers can create native, desktop and mobile applications and run them for a number of platforms.
Because of its flexible free-form nature, C++ is one of the most popular languages, ranking 2nd in the IEEE Spectrum Top Programming Languages list. Microsoft, Oracle (including MySQL), Mozilla, Evernote, Opera, PayPal, LinkedIn are just some of the biggest names that use C++ as their main technology.
Possessing a rich library and incorporating all the benefits and features of C, C++ is one of the most widely used languages for software development. Here are just a few of its uses in the real world:
- Application Development – C++ is widely used in the Adobe system, applications like Adobe Illustrator, Image Ready, Photoshop and Premiere are written in C++. In fact, Adobe developers are some of the most active members in the C++ community. Additionally, C++ is also commonly used in the creation of medical and engineering applications, with computer-aided design systems. MRI machines and CAD/CAM systems use C++ for scripting.
- Game Development – The C++ language is extremely fast which makes it ideal in developing game engines. Because of its versatile functions, C++ is efficient in writing code for 3D games, optimizing resource management and facilitating multiplayer with networking. Some of the most popular science fiction games like Doom 3 are written in C++.
- Web Browser Development – Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox browsers are written in C++ script. Part of Google’s back-end is coded in C++ and some of Firefox’s rendering engines for open source projects are also written in the language. C++ is preferred for developing web browsers because of its speed and reliability.
- Operating Systems and Compiler Development – C++ is used in the development of several prevalent operating systems. Apple’s OS X, Microsoft Windows, and Symbian mobile OS are just some of the operating systems that are coded in the language. Along with this, C++ is also used to create compilers such as Apple C++, Bloodshed Dev-C++, Clang C++ and MINGW.
Despite its popularity, it’s also one of the more challenging programming languages to learn due to its complex functionalities and broad information coverage, requiring a developer to spend a lot of time with it. Because of its steep learning curve, it’s not easy to find developers who specialize in it.
In the US, it’s especially difficult to find software engineers because of the shortage of labor force in the country. This is why most companies opt to offshore their services and hire talents abroad. Offshoring is a much cheaper alternative and it lets your company cut down on cost. Not to mention, there’s a wider talent pool to draw from.
How to Hire C++ Developers
In hiring remote C++ developers, there are plenty of things you have to consider such as their experience, their rate, and the type of work arrangement they’re willing to abide. It also depends on the type of project you have and what skills you need to complete it.
The developer should be equipped with the C++ Standard Template Library (STL) and should also know about using pointers. Along with this, knowledge of object-oriented programming (OOP), operating systems, programming environments, databases, compilers, and more come as an added advantage.
The most important thing for a C++ developer is to have good knowledge of is pointer arithmetic and what constitutes undefined behavior. In addition, a C++ developer should also be familiar with debugging tools such as Address/Memory/UndefinedBehavior Sanitizer, Valgrind, debuggers (e.g. GDB), and static code analysis tools.
Ideally, a C++ developer should have hands-on experience or at least some background on the C tools and the Boost and Qt libraries. A developer’s experience in commercial and open-source projects should also be considered.
Here are some of the basic things a C++ Developer is expected to know:
- C++ library, algorithms, and containers.
- Quality and Performance metrics.
- Memory management, dynamic polymorphism, and other C++ templates.
- C++ standards, real-time environments, low-level primitives, and library functions.
Finding the Right Developer for your Company
- Technical Screening – Gauge the technical competencies of your candidate by conducting various technical assessments to evaluate their strengths and weaknesses. C++ doesn’t allow any margin of error when it comes to coding. Your candidate has to have excellent coding skills. Coding Test can be conducted on sites such as HackerRank and CoderByte.
- Resume Screening – Resumes are your first form of reference in evaluating potential employees. Recruiting C++ developers can get tricky especially if you’re not familiar with all the technical information the job position requires. In evaluating resumes, you have to make sure that the candidate has some background on C++ Standard libraries, Compilers, Debugging Tools, Code Instrumentation, and Static analysis.
- Personal Interview – Work attitude is just as important as skills and experience. Conducting personal interviews allows you to evaluate your candidate at a more in-depth level and lets you assess whether his/her work ethic is a good match for your company’s environment. Interviews provide an opportunity for your candidate to demonstrate his/her communication skills and express opinions and showcase knowledge about essential topics.
Listen to this episode
Looking for C++ Developers?
Full Scale has a roster of seasoned developers that can cater to all your development project needs. We’ve carefully picked out the cream of the crop and assessed their skills and work ethic to ensure that you get the best people to work for you. We can take care of the nitty-gritty process of hiring and managing the staff so that you can focus on your product. We can help you assemble your very own development team for your project. Contact us to learn more about our services.